Danbury, CT

Danbury, CT

The Photograph

The Sphere within a Sphere, Trinity College Dublin, by Italian sculptor, Arnaldo Pomodoro.

Introduction:

My photo
Current: Danbury, CT, United States
Welcome! A few years ago, I discovered an application that artists employ in their works to bring cultural awareness to their audiences. Having discerned this semiotic theory that applies to literature, music, art, film, and the media, I have devoted the blog, "Theory of Iconic Realism" to explore this theory. The link to the publisher of my book is below. If you or your university would like a copy of this book for your library or if you would like to review it for a scholarly journal, please contact the Edwin Mellen Press at the link listed below. Looking forward to hearing from you!

Thank you for visiting. I hope you will find the information insightful. ~ Dr. Jeanne Iris



To view my page on the Edwin Mellen Press website, please click below:

01 March, 2009

Iconic Realism and YOU!


I would love to hear your reactions to this theory. When you get a chance, please jot down your opinions. 
Thanks! ~ Jeanne

2 comments:

  1. Hi Jean, good to see you found some time for blogging!

    I'm still getting to grips with the theory myself - (like I haven't enough to be getting to grips with! :D

    From my viewpoint, it seems perhaps close to the mechanics of surrealist imagery, in that surrealist works 'feature the element of surprise, unexpected juxtapositions and non sequitur' ?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey PJ! Good to hear from you. Thanks for your astute observation.

    Yes, you are correct. Surrealist imagery does factor into iconic realism in that it involves "features the element of surprise, unexpected juxtapositions and non-sequitur." In fact, I mention something similar to this in my book. In iconic realism, the writer, artist, filmmaker or composer will use an icon placed in a setting not usually associated with that icon to illustrate a specific, significant need for cultural change. Sometimes, this will in fact be a surrealist image. Dali's work is an example of this.

    Hope that helps.

    ReplyDelete