photograph

photograph

The Photograph

Preparing for winter, Danbury, Connecticut.

Introduction:

My photo
Current: Danbury, CT, United States
Welcome! A few years ago, I discovered an application that artists employ in their works to bring cultural awareness to their audiences. Having discerned this semiotic theory that applies to literature, music, art, film, and the media, I have devoted the blog, "Theory of Iconic Realism" to explore this theory. The link to the publisher of my book is below. If you or your university would like a copy of this book for your library or if you would like to review it for a scholarly journal, please contact the Edwin Mellen Press at the link listed below. Looking forward to hearing from you!

Thank you for visiting. I hope you will find the information insightful. ~ Dr. Jeanne Iris
To view my page on the Edwin Mellen Press website, please click below:

Announcements:

I have demonstrated or will demonstrate the application of this theory at the following locations:
April, 2016 @ University of Notre Dame:
A 'Daughter of Attila' Speaks: The Semiotic Theory of Iconic Realism in the Cultural Identity of Irish Celts and Magyars
November, 2016 @ Massachusetts Maritime Academy:
"A Terrible Beauty is Born"...The Semiotic Theory of Iconic Realism and William Butler Yeats' poem, Easter 1916
November 2017 @ Georgetown University:
Harmony of the Spheres and the Semiotic Theory of Iconic Realism in Sydney Owenson's Epistolary Tale, The Wild Irish Girl

Dates pending: I will present the theory of iconic realism at universities and art institutes which have purchased my book.



14 September, 2009

Monday Poetry Respite

Fantasia
by Jeanne I. Lakatos

Yearning for serenity
an unsettled mind
drifts gracefully
flowing in paralysis
a paradox offering
spiritual coalescence
sweet malady
sweeter melody
sweetest memory
core surge caresses
in divine rhythm
echoes from arched bones
guard this heart
in solemn surrender to stillness
filling silence with rapture

(As per TFE's Monday poetry assignment, I wrote this poem upon listening to "Fantasia on a theme by Thomas Tallis," composed by Ralph Vaughan-Williams)

4 comments:

  1. Jeanne Iris, I was intrigued by this - complexity and yet, somehow, lightness of touch. The central triptych of lines particularly effective.
    I liked it very much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. This is one of my favorite pieces by Ralph Vaughan Williams. The music has variations of this same duplicity, an emotional duet between violin and viola.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Jeanne you have it on yer blog too,Cool! Lovely peaceful poem(as always)it flows and builds beautifully, like the falls at Glencar! My favourite lines ? The plunge at the end...

    echoes from arched bones
    guard this heart
    in solemn surrender to stillness
    filling silence with rapture.


    Thanks a million, for poeting and posting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much, TFE! I always look forward to your weekly 'assignments.' This piece is one of my favs from RVW. I've decided to title the poetry I do here for your assignments, "Monday Poetry Respite," for the writing of these always places me in a restful mood.

    ReplyDelete