photograph

photograph

The Photograph

Camouflage

Introduction:

My photo
Current: Danbury, CT, United States
Welcome! A few years ago, I discovered an application that artists employ in their works to bring cultural awareness to their audiences. Having discerned this semiotic theory that applies to literature, music, art, film, and the media, I have devoted the blog, "Theory of Iconic Realism" to explore this theory. The link to the publisher of my book is below. If you or your university would like a copy of this book for your library or if you would like to review it for a scholarly journal, please contact the Edwin Mellen Press at the link listed below. Looking forward to hearing from you!

Thank you for visiting. I hope you will find the information insightful. ~ Dr. Jeanne Iris
To view my page on the Edwin Mellen Press website, please click below:

Announcements:

I have demonstrated or will demonstrate the application of this theory at the following locations:
April, 2016 @ University of Notre Dame:
A 'Daughter of Attila' Speaks: The Semiotic Theory of Iconic Realism in the Cultural Identity of Irish Celts and Magyars
November, 2016 @ Massachusetts Maritime Academy:
"A Terrible Beauty is Born"...The Semiotic Theory of Iconic Realism and William Butler Yeats' poem, Easter 1916
November 2017 @ Georgetown University:
Harmony of the Spheres and the Semiotic Theory of Iconic Realism in Sydney Owenson's Epistolary Tale, The Wild Irish Girl

Dates pending: I will present the theory of iconic realism at universities and art institutes which have purchased my book.



04 October, 2009

Monday Poetry Respite

This week's assignment from TFE involved our viewing a photograph from TFE's collection and writing a poem. As you can see, I chose the photograph entitled, "Fitzer's Alley."


Ne’er Death 


Fitzer had a close call back in 2005
He made it as far as
the star-shaped puddles
there in the groundwork,
along with the genesis of life:
dollops of debris, mud and grit.
Then someone called him back.
He had more art to refine, so
he left his design on the wall.
See, he just had to make sure
he’d find his way on the return.


He’s in good company:
Kar, Palmer, IC, Ar’y.
and other obscure names
inscribed upon those walls
that humans love to build,
safeguarding their passions.
More artists, I suppose they are,
called back to finish their work
inspiring, creating, envisioning
their universe or universals
helping the rest of us find our way.


© Jeanne I. Lakatos  2009






20 comments:

  1. Looks like this is going to be a popular photo! Dominic's used it and I very nearly did too.
    I enjoyed your poem...the puddles, the mood. Graffiti is always a great subject too.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really liked this - it became a story, then a meditation. Love the last two lines of the first verse. I care about Fitzer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Rachel, Yes, the minute I saw this photo, I was drawn to it. I immediately saw that 'near death' light here, and in the puddles, the link between humanity and the universe. Thanks for noticing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Titus! Wouldn't it be cool if Fitzer made an appearance on one of our blogs?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really enjoyed this.. a really nice little character snapshot. Like the silence that enveloped it.. got lots of space in it.. just like the subway... cool! cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Watercats... space...now that's the key!

    Will get to yours when Monday teaching is done.

    Later! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wrote a piece on this picture as well. Fun to read your great take on the theme!

    ReplyDelete
  8. A change in style Jeanne? Harder edged? Perhaps your best ?I really like it, this poem works really well, love those first three lines that set the scene.And Fitzer emeges from some scrawl on a wall into a living breathing person-with a story.Deadly! Thanks Jeanne!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Willow, just read yours, and it's amazing how we both considered the afterlife with this photo. As TFE would say, 'Deadly!'

    ReplyDelete
  10. TFE, Go raibh maith agat! Yes, this brought out the Detroit Girl in me. ;) I read all those wonderful names along the alley's walls and had to write something about them. I feel similarly whenever I take the MetroNorth train, and it passes through Harlem on its way into Grand Central Station, NY. Would love to meet this Fitzer dude, wouldn't you?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I had thought to go with this one as well, but my mind's meanderings weren't playing out to my satisfaction.

    I really liked the line:
    "Then someone called him back." It certainly does evoke that beyond-death feeling, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  12. I almost chose this pic! I really enjoyed this edgy poem and think it rewards a second (and third and fourth...) read.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Argent found the right word: edgy. Elusive too. I like the way it tells a little bit of a story (about Fitzer) and leaving the rest unsaid.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you so much, Argent!
    Edgey, yes indeed, on the edge of here and the hereafter.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Dominic, thank you for your very kind words. Unsaid and the unknown go hand in hand, so I guess it works. ; )

    ReplyDelete
  16. YOUR WORDS REMIND ME OF LIVING SOMEWHERE ONCE

    ReplyDelete
  17. hmmm....perhaps behind the Salvador Deli? ; )

    ReplyDelete
  18. and i used this one too!

    i really liked 'star shaped puddles', it functioned really well for me. in fact i just liked all of it!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Why thank you, kindly, Swiss! Now, I'll mosey on over to your blog to see your take on this photo. It was a good one, wasn't it?

    ReplyDelete