Danbury, CT

Danbury, CT

The Photograph

The Sphere within a Sphere, Trinity College Dublin, by Italian sculptor, Arnaldo Pomodoro.

Introduction:

My photo
Current: Danbury, CT, United States
Welcome! A few years ago, I discovered an application that artists employ in their works to bring cultural awareness to their audiences. Having discerned this semiotic theory that applies to literature, music, art, film, and the media, I have devoted the blog, "Theory of Iconic Realism" to explore this theory. The link to the publisher of my book is below. If you or your university would like a copy of this book for your library or if you would like to review it for a scholarly journal, please contact the Edwin Mellen Press at the link listed below. Looking forward to hearing from you!

Thank you for visiting. I hope you will find the information insightful. ~ Dr. Jeanne Iris



To view my page on the Edwin Mellen Press website, please click below:

15 January, 2011

Inspiration and Iconic Realism

THE POETRY BUS:
This week's Poetry Bus is driven by its creator, Peadar O'Donoghue, aka TFE. You can access his blog HERE.  Below is my contribution for this week's 'bus ticket.' Our prompt was to breathe and write about where we are at this point in our lives and possibly how we arrived at this juncture. Well, when I breathe, I try to rid myself of all thoughts to concentrate on the here and now. The poem below demonstrates this and iconic realism simultaneously. 

A member of the choir at my Catholic Church, often I have the privilege of seeing the reaction of the congregation to the priest's homily. The way this poem illustrates iconic realism is that we have a real individual, sitting in the iconic Catholic Mass, listening to the rhetoric of a priest, however, the spirit comes not from the dogmatic words of the priest's mind, but from another spiritual source within that reality and thus illustrates that the mind, heart, soul connection rests within individuals. Their inner response to relevant awareness can move consciousness in a positive direction. 

The photograph is one which I took at the Cathedral de Notre Dame in Reims, France, last May. It illustrates iconic realism and my poem below, too. There, an iconic statue and one refurbished, standing side by side, reveal enlightenment through art. Which one is more beautiful? I'll let you decide. 


Inspiration
Her eyes met those
of the congregation
engulfed in the dogma
the priest spewing
words from a pallid pen
that failed to touch
her heart or mind or soul.
So she breathed
and inhaled the Spirit
who whispered to her,
“You are whole and wonderful.”
Exhaling a slow smile,
she sang a silent hymn,
a renaissance de cœur.

❦ Jeanne I. Lakatos  2011

13 comments:

  1. Dear Jeanne: Excellent poem! The sculpture comes to life in your poem!
    "So she breathed
    and inhaled the Spirit
    who whispered to her,.."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Two powerful poems this week, Jeanne. Good work.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Rachel. It was an easy assignment. ; )

    ReplyDelete
  4. The iconic statue, yes.

    I have spent many a Sunday attempting to absorb what my priest was saying ... ultimately drifing off, like you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another cracker! It gave me a wonderful feeling of having secret knowledge and nurturing it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Can identify with that experience so well captured in this poem.exhaling a slow smile.Excellente!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can certainly identify with this, Jeanne Iris. That's a wonderful thing about poetry (and an example of iconic realism if I understand it correctly) - that someone in Connecticut can write a poem that expresses the experience and encompasses the heart of a reader in West Virginia or Canada or Ireland...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Helen: Ah, but I understood too well what the priest was saying.
    Jules: Thank you! Glad to help out with the enlightenment.
    Kate: Thank you!
    TFE: Thank you, kindly, Sir.
    Socks: Indeed!
    Karen: Thank you! Yes, this theory applied is universal and diverse, the beauty of semiotics.

    ReplyDelete
  9. a renaissance de cœur.

    We all need one of those occasionally...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Indeed, Jinksy! Thanks for dropping by!

    ReplyDelete